The contest is now closed.
Prizes – 4 Winners Total
The song was written and played by myself and Mark Richey (Red Line Tragedy). So I’m not the best guitar player in the world. Sue me (Just kidding, don’t sue me. I hate paperwork.). You get the DI tracks of all the guitars, with the neck and the bridge pickups tracked onto separate tracks (my favorite way to track guitars). You also get the DI bass track (bridge pickup only). Drums are samples, so you can either use the raw samples that I provided, or you can download the MIDI track and use whatever samples you want.
Everything is as raw as it can be. I really don’t want to sit through 2000 mixes that all sound the same. Do NOT use my version of the song as a reference. It’s just there to give you an idea of what the song sounds like. I want you to come up with your own take on the song. Plus, my guitars sound too fizzy anyway.
Song BPM: 170
Time Signature: 4/4
Standard guitar tuning
Mixes must be submitted by Sunday, September 4th at Midnight PST.
Download the Tracks
|Drums||Mirror 1 | Mirror 2 | Drums MIDI|
|Vocals||Mirror 1 | Mirror 2|
|Guitars||Mirror 1 | Mirror 2|
Here’s a video that walks through how to use the plugin: https://youtu.be/ACIZ9Cx7l4c
Note: Yes, the files are called Drums2.zip, vocals2.zip and guitars2.zip. They do contain all the tracks. I just don’t want you to think you are missing anything because they are names XXX2.zip.
Your job is simple: make this song sound as awesome as possible. Pretend that I’m the client and I want you to turn this song into magic. It’s up to you to decide how to do that. While this is a mixing contest, you are welcome to change up whatever you want if you think it makes the song better.
How to Enter
- Download the tracks
- Mix the tracks (obviously)
- PAY ATTENTION!! THIS IS IMPORTANT. Upload your song to some hosting service. You can use dropbox or soundcloud or whatever you want, just as long as we can listen to the song without having to create an account anywhere.
Your mix must be streamable! Do not post your mix somewhere where the judges have to download the file in order to hear it. The judges are listening to a lot of mixes and adding extra steps makes it a lot harder.
- Go to this page and enter the URL to your song: http://www.bozdigitallabs.com/phpfunctions/submitsongform.php
Note: You must be logged in to your Boz Digital Labs account to view that page. If you don’t have an account, you can make one for free.
Get Feedback on Your Mix
You are more than welcome to get feedback on your mix before entering. We have set up a facebook page for you guys to discuss the tracks, the song, get help and get feedback. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254263468285882/ (I keep it a closed group because I know some people don’t want the whole world hearing their unfinished mixes). Just ask to be added to the group and I’ll add you.
How You Will be Judged
You will be judged on whether or not the judges think your song sounds great. That’s all there is to it. Extra points will not go to people just because it’s different, but feel free to be creative. If there’s a sound in your head, do whatever it takes to get that sound.
I want to make this fun, so we have to have a few rules.
- One Entry Per Person. You can enter one song. You are free to post your mix for feedback on other forums or Facebook or whatever, but once you submit it, you have submitted it. No more changes.
- Submit your mix by September 4th. Any submissions entered after this date will be ignored. There doesn’t exist a single excuse in the world that will make us change our mind on this, so don’t procrastinate.
- No whining. This is supposed to be fun. Not everybody will agree with the winner. Just accept that fact now so we can all move on and have a good time.
- Give Feedback to Other Contestants. This isn’t really a rule, but just some advice. The whole point of this is so we can all get better. By giving feedback on other people’s mixes, not only will they learn, but so will you. Be nice about it. I shouldn’t have to say that.
- Have Fun. If you aren’t having fun, you are doing it wrong. The whole point of this contest is to learn and get better. Any emails I received telling me that I should die or my house should be burned down will be ignored and forwarded directly to your mom.
Q: How much of the song can I change?
A: While we are not looking for a new song, you are welcome to make any changes to the order, instruments, vocals, whatever. It does need to be recognizably the same song in order to be considered a winner. If you want to have fun with it and replace the guitar with a banjo, be my guest. I can’t imagine that winning though, but if you can pull it off, more power to you.
Q: Will this contest be judged fairly?
A: Of course not. There’s no possible way to judge thousands of mixes and keep it completely objective. The point is to have fun and to learn. If your end product sounds awesome, we will notice.
Q: How many submissions to I get.
A: One submission.
Q: Can I get feedback on my mix before submitting?
A: Yes, you are welcome to get feedback from anyone you’d like before submitting your mix. Once you have submitted your mix, however, you can’t make changes to it. We have set up a facebook forum specifically designed to get mix feedback, so feel free to utilize it. You can also use any number of forums that already exist for getting mix feedback. There are plenty of them out there, and they are a great resource.
Q: Do I have to comment on other people’s mixes in order to qualify?
A: No, you don’t have to, but it’s highly encouraged. Again, the point of this contest is to learn and get better, and pointing out the good and bad parts of other people’s mixes is a good way for both you and them to learn.